Camp RHINO FAQs
Session 1: Monday, June 14 - Saturday, June 19
Session 2: Monday, June 21 - Saturday, June 26
Session 3: Monday, July 5 - Saturday, July 10
Session 4: Monday, July 12 - Saturday, July 17
Session 5: Monday, July 19 - Saturday, July 24
Session 6: Monday, July 26 - Saturday, July 31
Camp RHINO partners with local non-profit organizations, so groups can do service projects with one or a variety of non-profits. In the past, Camp RHINO groups have built homes with Habitat for Humanity and Rebuilding Together, packed food delivery boxes for Second Harvest Food Bank, assisted in homeless outreach and shelters, worked in community gardens, and volunteered with other programs. Please discuss your preference for construction or non-construction projects with the Ministry Director when you book your trip. We'll try our best to accommodate your preference, but please also plan to be flexible! Some requests are not possible to meet.
Camp RHINO charges $400 per participant for 2021. This includes housing, meals, volunteer costs, a t-shirt, and administration fees.
For an extra $15 per person, your linens will be provided (towels, sheets, pillow, pillowcase).
- RHINO abides by the work hard, play hard philosophy Monday evening through Friday evening. Groups have breakfast together at St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian, then depart for volunteer work sites. They eat a sack lunch on site. After the workday ends, there are a few hours of free time before dinner at St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian. There are evening worship activities scheduled Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and a prayer tour on Tuesday night. Thursday night groups go to a church member's home for a home - cooked meal. Here's a sample schedule:
- Monday -- 6pm Orientation and Dinner, 7pm Evening Program
- Tuesday -- Friday -- 7am Breakfast, 8:30am-3:30pm Worksite, 6pm Dinner, 7pm Evening Program
- Saturday -- Fun day in the city!
- Sunday -- 9:30am attend service at St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church (optional)
- 2018 Camp Registration is open.
All Camp RHINO groups stay in New Orleans at Loyola University. Campers and leaders enjoy dorm-style living and the benefits of the student recreation center and swimming pool during their down time.
Groups drive or fly in on Monday morning and check-in at the University before Orientation and Dinner on Monday evening. Groups can choose to depart for home on Saturday, or they can have a "fun day" in the city and depart on Sunday
Camp RHINO welcomes all youth ages 13 – 18 years old and requires one adult leader per five youth campers. For construction related service, youth must be ages 14 and up to comply with their insurance policies. We do partner with several additional nonprofits that will work with youth ages 13 and up. Adults are expected to participate and act as chaperones during all meals, work site activities, and evening activities. Groups must have one adult chaperone for every five campers.
We cannot accommodate groups of more than 65. We often book multiple smaller groups of 10-35 each week of camp.
Yes! Camp RHINO provides dinner on Monday and three meals per day on Tuesday-Friday to all campers and leaders. Thursday nights are particularly special, as St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church congregation members host our campers for some good ol’ Louisiana home cooking!
All Camp RHINO groups are expected to provide their own transportation.
- A great attitude, flexibility, and a willingness to have fun while serving New Orleans! Here's a sample packing list:
- Toiletries + Medications
- Sunscreen, Insect-repellent, and itch-relief cream
- Cash for desired snacks and Saturday meals (all other meals provided)
- Refillable water bottle
- Closed toe shoes (work boots with hard soles or old tennis shoes)
- Protective clothing that you can get dirty
- Comfortable clothing for evening programming
- One “church” outfit for Sunday morning worship
- Socks and underwear for a week
- Hat/visor and Bandanna
- A desire to rebuild hope and have fun in New Orleans!
Still looking for answers? Email Savannah Fraser, RHINO Director, at email@example.com, and we'll help you out!